Can I Eat Halloween Candy with Braces?
Trick or treat! After a night out going door to door collecting candy with your children, younger siblings or friends, you find yourself sticking your hand in the bowl to treat yourself. But wait! You have braces! Can you eat that?
Most orthodontists will say NO! Don’t eat candy! Dr. Georgaklis wants you to know that there are definitely candies to avoid, but some could be okay. Dr. G introduced Rapid Braces, using practices provided by Brookline area orthodontists to give patients straight teeth within six months. If you’re a patient of Dr. G’s, you wouldn’t want to prolong that process, right? Here’s a few tips for safe Halloween candy to eat with braces.
- DO eat chocolate! It’s the softest candy and melts in your mouth so you don’t need to worry about it getting stuck on your braces. Try to avoid frozen chocolate, solid chocolate bars or chocolate with nuts or caramel. That’s when things get messy.
- DO eat mint candies! Buttermints, peppermints, Junior Mints or Peppermint Patties are totally okay. It’s okay to suck on a hard candy, but resist the urge to bite down.
- DO opt for other options like soft cookies or cupcakes. You may not find these options while trick or treating, but look for them at Halloween themed parties.
- DON’T eat anything gummy, chewy or sticky. The consistency makes it almost impossible to clean from braces. Even harder chews are not okay – they could get stuck to the metal and ruin it.
- DON’T eat small coated candies like M&Ms or Skittles. The sugary shells break into small pieces, getting stuck in hard to reach spots on your braces.
It’s important to remember you have your braces on and are on your way to having a perfect smile! Don’t ruin it with candy! 6 Month Braces treatment time will increase if pieces get stuck in your braces or you have to have something replaced. Don’t hesitate to call Dr. G and the expert staff at Rapid Braces if something doesn’t feel right with your braces, we’re here to help. And remember, candy gives you cavities!
If you’re looking for Rapid Braces, invisible braces or just have any questions, Dr. Georgaklis is your go-to guy for Brookline 6 Month Braces. Other orthodontists in the area can’t offer personalized 6 Month Braces treatment like Rapid Braces. For more information, contact Dr. Georgaklis.